As an AVFRD member you are freely volunteering your time and talents, but there are many benefits beyond the pride and satisfaction you’ll feel by serving. Volunteers are eligible for benefits based on a “point” system. Points are earned by performing a variety of activities. Some benefits require that the member earn a certain number of points each year. Benefits include:
Retirement program benefits
- Upon reaching age 55, volunteers may receive up to $300 per month (amount depends on number of years of service and points accumulated).
Vehicle property tax deduction
- Loudoun County residents may qualify for a personal property tax reduction on one privately owned vehicle.
Free county vehicle decal
- Loudoun County residents may qualify for a free County and/or Town decal on one privately owned vehicle.
- Volunteers may qualify for up to $4,000 per year ($16,000 maximum in lifetime) in tuition reimbursement at an accredited college or university.
Free firefighter and emergency medical training
- All mandated training is provided at no cost to members.
Uniforms and Personal Protective Gear
- The department provides members with needed gear and equipment.
- Free flu shots are offered to members of the department.
- Volunteers who suffer an injury or illness due to the performance of volunteer duties are covered by the County’s Worker’s Compensation program.
Loudoun County Credit Union
- Volunteers can join the Loudoun County Credit Union.
- Several area businesses offer discounts to AVFRD members.
Social Hall Rental
- AVFRD members are not charged a rental fee for use of Founders Hall. Security & Cleaning fees apply.
- Satisfaction, pride and honor in helping others and meeting the challenge.
- Opportunity to meet new people and build friendships.
- Chance to gain critical decision-making abilities and enhance technical knowledge, team building and communication skills.
- Help build a stronger and safer community.