Keep cooking areas clear!
Clear away clutter and give cooking appliances space to lessen the chance of a kitchen fire.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, towels, curtains – away from the stovetop.
- Loose clothing can hang down onto stove burners and catch fire. Wear short, close-fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Keep pets off cooking surfaced and nearby countertops.
- Clean up food and grease from burners and the stovetop.
For more fire prevention information, please visit NFPA.org.