Tornadoes are a serious threat to life and property, and they can occur at any time of the year. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the United States experiences more tornadoes than any other country in the world. To help keep you and your loved ones safe during tornado season, AVFRD recommends the following tornado safety tips:
- Have a plan: Before a tornado strikes, it’s important to have a plan in place. This includes identifying a safe shelter location in your home or workplace, as well as establishing a communication plan with your family and friends.
- Pay attention to weather alerts: The National Weather Service issues tornado watches and warnings when severe weather is expected. It’s important to stay informed by listening to the radio, watching the news, or using a weather app.
- Seek shelter immediately: If a tornado warning is issued, seek shelter in a sturdy building or underground shelter. If you’re caught outside, find a low-lying area and cover your head with your hands.
- Stay away from windows: Tornadoes can shatter windows and send flying debris into your home. Stay away from windows and close all doors to help prevent wind damage.
- Use helmets or other protective gear: Wearing helmets or other protective gear, such as hard-soled shoes or goggles, can help reduce the risk of injury during a tornado.
By following these tornado safety tips, you can help protect yourself and your loved ones during severe weather events. For more information on tornado safety, visit the NOAA website or contact your local emergency management agency.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (2021). Tornadoes. https://www.weather.gov/safety/tornado
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2021). Tornado safety. https://www.ready.gov/tornadoes
National Weather Service. (2021). Tornado safety. https://www.weather.gov/safety/tornado-safety
American Red Cross. (2021). Tornado safety. https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/tornado.html
Leave A Comment